Thursday, December 2, 2010

Baked Italian-Style Breaded Pork Chops


There is way too much food in our freezer. We've got a billion packets of bacon, tubs of uneaten ice cream, endless gallon bags stuffed with steaks, chicken breasts, pork chops, salmon filets and tilapia. I think there might even be a container of scallops somewhere in the back. Why? Because we live a block from BJ's, and I just can't help myself. 

So, I've been cooking frantically this week in a effort to open up some space in the freezer. I used up the frozen shrimp for carbonara on Monday, chicken for my lunch salad on Tuesday, and grilled steak for dinner last night. In an effort to keep things exciting in the kitchen, I decided to make pork chops tonight.


We've already had glazed, grilled chops two or three times in the last few months, and I felt it was time for a change. Closet Cooking was no help this time, because all of his recipes were a little more involved than I felt like dealing with at 7 o'clock on a Thursday night, and they called for a slew of ingredients I didn't have on hand. Plus, I was tired of using the electric grill for our dinner meats. Lucky for us, I had all ingredients to make breaded, baked pork chops.


This wasn't exactly a Rachel Ray-esque 30-minute meal, but the pork chops were very straightforward and easy to make. Both chops were seasoned, breaded, and browned in no time at all, and while they were baking in the oven, I had time to whip up a make-shift version of creamy au gratin potatoes, and sit down with a former DEA agent to answer a few quick back-ground investigation questions for Emily's new job. What can I say, I'm a multi-tasker.


I think I prefer the savory, caramelized crust on my glazed grilled pork chops better than the Italian-style breading of these chops, but overall I would rate this dish as "tasty." The meat was tender and juicy, and very flavorful. I'm glad I decided to salt/pepper the chops directly pre-breading though, because I think without that seasoning they would have just been bland and greasy.

Baked Italian-Style Breaded Pork Chops (Adapted from AllRecipes.com's Italian Breaded Pork Chops recipe)

Ingredients:
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2/3 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan 
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pork chops

Steps:
(1) Preheat oven to 325.
(2) In a small bowl, beat together the egg and milk. In a separate small bowl, mix the bread crumbs, Parmesan, and oregano.
(3) Heat the olive oil in a large, oven-proof skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, cook until brown.
(4) Dip each pork chop in the egg mixture, then the bread crumb mixture. Make sure each chop is evenly coated.
(5) Cook the chops on the skillet until lightly brown on each side. 
(6) Place the skillet/chops into the oven. Cook for 25 minutes.

2 comments:

Lucy said...

damn girl you've a lucky man with your daily cookings.

justputzing said...

Totally ;p