Sunday, April 24, 2011

Strawberry Margaritas


It's the weekend, the weather is 82 degrees and sunny, and I've just been treated to a delicious sushi buffet for lunch. Could my birthday get any better? Yes, but only if you throw in a pitcher of freshly blended strawberry margaritas (and a nap)!


Tequila and I never used to be friends. But, that's probably because my first experience with it was at a frat party where some guy poured lime juice into a solo cup full of Jose and said "here, have a margarita." I took one sip and immediately spat it back into the cup. Yuck.  Never again.


But, because I never wanted to drink tequila after that, I never got violently sick from it -- Jose and I never "broke up," so to speak. Vodka? That's another story...but I digress.  Anyway, the upshot is that when I decided to give tequila another chance years later, I could face it without having a visceral reaction (like my friend Brad). I still can't drink it straight, of course...I prefer my Jose to be mixed with sugar and fruit, and frozen if possible. Luckily, there's a big jug of The Cuervo on top of my fridge right now, as well as a fresh carton of strawberries waiting to be eaten/blended, so when I got a craving for a fruity beverage I knew just what to do. Strawberry margaritas!!! So delicious and refreshing on a hot day like today. If only I had furniture on my balcony...

Strawberry Margaritas

Ingredients:
- 5 oz tequila (5 shots)
- 2 ice-trays' worth of ice
- 1/2 a carton of strawberries, cut into halves
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice

Steps:
(1) Throw all the ingredients into a blender. Blend until icy and frothy.
(2) Serve immediately, preferably with something salty, like chips and guacamole.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh yes please! Make mine a large one darling. x

Sam said...

Oy! Somehow a strawberry margarita sounds fantastic but the word "tequila" still makes me shudder a bit in my throat. One too many bottom-shelf shots in my more reckless days...