Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Egg Salad Sandwich


When I was a kid, my grandmother made me eat a hard boiled egg for breakfast every morning. Every. Single. Morning. She'd get up, boil the egg, get me ready for school, and then feed it to me as we walked to the local day care center. The egg was never seasoned in any way -- no salt, no pepper, just a plain ol' boiled egg; slimy and smooth on the outside, dry and powdery on the inside. Needless to say, I was not happy with my breakfast, brain food notwithstanding, and constantly tried to avoid eating it. Some days I'd whine, other days I'd beg, but mainly I would obediently take big bites of the boiled egg, chew, and then spit it out on the side of the road when my grandmother's back was turned. Wasteful? Yes. Ungrateful? Yes. But, I was three years old, so cut me some slack here.


These days, I love eggs in every permutation. I still think boiled egg whites are slimy and off-putting sometimes, but a little seasoning goes a long way. And, if you throw some mayo and mustard into the mix, you get delicious deviled eggs, or even better, egg salad sandwiches! Not so great for the cholesterol, but oh so tasty.

Egg Salad Sandwich

Ingredients:
- 4 eggs, boiled
- 2 slices bread of choice
- 1 tbsp mayo
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 dash paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp green onions, chopped
- Salt/pepper to taste

Steps:
(1) Chop boiled eggs into small pieces.
(2) Throw eggs into a bowl with mayo, mustard, and seasonings. Mix well.
(3) Stir in green onions.
(4) Salt/pepper to taste.
(5) Spoon heaping spoonfuls of egg salad onto a slice of bread. Layer lettuce or spinach on top. Cover with other slice of bread.
(6) Cut in half and eat immediately.

One year ago: Pad Thai

No comments: