Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Banana Nutella-Swirl Muffins



Day fifty trillion of the Snowpocalypse. No work, no school, no where to go but the kitchen.  Which is where I discovered that I had a bunch of bananas ripening far too quickly on top of the fridge. Mmm, mushy bananas.  Time to smash them up and bake something nice!  


This post from Meet Me in the Kitchen caught my eye, so I dragged my roommate through the snow to get some Nutella from Safeway.  Poor Shanna.  Well, she wanted to buy wine anyway.


This is such a clean and easy, no-fuss recipe. Just mix up bananas, eggs, brown sugar, butter, and sour cream (which I swapped out for plain yogurt), scoop the batter into muffin pans, swirl in Nutella, and bake. Done!


I forgot how thick Nutella was -- it was kind of a pain to swirl through the batter, especially when I scooped too much of it into the cups.  In the end it was more like swirling the batter into the Nutella than vice versa. Still, I thought the overall effect was quite nice.




Banana Nutella-Swirl Muffins (Adapted from Barbara's Recipe)

Ingredients:
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 small)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup butter
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
Nutella

Steps:
(1) Preheat oven to 350.

(2) Mix bananas, brown sugar, yogurt, butter and eggs in a large bowl until well-blended.

(3) Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Add gradually to banana mixture.

(4) Spoon batter into greased muffin tins.

(5) Add about 1 tsp of Nutella into each cup of batter (or more if you REALLY love Nutella). Swirl to your satisfaction.

(6) Bake for about 18 minutes.  

No comments: