Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Brioche Buns


Guys, making bread is hard. Or maybe I'm just really bad at it. Either way, my dough just doesn't rise the way it's supposed to. Either my yeast is sluggish, or I'm killing them. I could swear I did everything right this time, though -- I let the yeast percolate in warm sugar water...I didn't use scalding milk or acidic buttermilk...I let the dough rest in a warm place...I even toned down my stirring/kneading just in case too much vigorous activity scared the little suckers. But nope. Dough only rose a little bit. Goddamnit.


I mean, these brioche buns turned out OK, but they're definitely not as light and fluffy/puffy as they should've been. And, my egg wash didn't give them a gorgeous, shiny sheen like it was supposed to. In fact, I would say that these buns are more biscuit than brioche. Which is why I decided to eat one smeared with cherry butter for breakfast instead of using it as a burger bun. It was edible. It was tender. It was tasty, even. But it wasn't brioche. Sigh. 

Recipe can be found here, courtesy of the Kitchen Simplicity blog.

5 comments:

Elena said...

They look pretty though!!!

Gerry @Foodness Gracious said...

How fresh is your yeast, or was it an opened pack sitting out for a while. I've noticed if either of these are issues for me then my dough will be very sluggish.
Take care..

justputzing said...

@Elena: Thanks!! Hope you're having fun in Nepal.

@Foodness Gracious: Now that you mention it, the pack I used has been open/sitting around for a couple months. I would have clipped the bag shut, but I didn't think it mattered. Maybe I'll try a new pack of yeast in my next batch of bread. Thanks!

Unknown said...

I totally agree bread is definitely hard. Mine always rises beautifully but tastes too yeasty and I hate that! I am determined to master bread eventually. Your buns still look gorgeous though. X x

Anonymous said...

I have to try this recipe! They look flaky.