Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Chicken Salad Sandwich


I secretly look forward to the days when we run out of deli turkey. Why? Because it gives me an excuse to make chicken salad. I mean, I could probably just make chicken salad whenever, but turkey goes bad so quickly that I feel like I have to eat it for lunch everyday when it's around so that I don't end up throwing any away.

I read in one of my chick lit books that Southern women judge the measure of a lady by the quality of her chicken salad. That can't be true, but if it were...I'd be a pretty low maintenance lady. I don't use chicken that I've personally roasted, I don't make my own mayonnaise, and I don't throw in any fancy pants ingredients for textural/flavor contrast. I just throw some chopped chicken (usually Perdue grilled chicken strips), diced red onion, Helmann's, and paprika in a bowl and mix it all together. Done in fifteen minutes, but super yummy. Great on top of a spinach salad or sandwiched between toasted wheat bread.

Chicken Salad Sandwich

Ingredients:
- 1 packet of Perdue grilled chicken, chopped; or, 1 grilled chicken breast, chopped
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced (I like the spicy crunch of red onion in my chicken salad, so I usually use more)
- 1/4 avocado, sliced thinly
- 3 tomato slices
- 4 large lettuce leaves, or 1 handful baby spinach
- 2 slices wheat bread, toasted

Steps:
(1) In a medium bowl, mix chicken, mayo, paprika, and red onion until well combined. (If you're feeling fancy, chop up some green onion or apple slices and throw that in too.)
(2) Layer one slice of toast with lettuce and tomatoes.
(3) Scoop two large spoonfuls of chicken salad on top of the lettuce/tomatoes. Spread out in one even layer.
(4) Arrange avocado slices on top of the chicken salad. Cover with second slice of bread.
(5) Cut in half and serve with pickles and chips.

No comments: