Monday, January 24, 2011

Pan Seared Tilapia with Avgolemono Sauce


I've been in kind of a cooking rut lately. I haven't been reading as many cooking blogs, and no recipes have been particularly eye-catching or inspiring. So, we've been eating a lot of delivery -- Chinese food, Domino's...the usual junky suspects. And lets not forget the long weekend in Colorado, where we gorged ourselves on birthday cake, lasagna, and tacos after braving the slopes. Yum.

But, my rapidly tightening waistband has awakened me to the sad fact that I need start eating less greasy crap and start cooking healthy and delicious meals at home. And maybe exercise occasionally. Maybe. But definitely the healthy cooking thing.


What could be healthier than fish? Nothing! And I just happened to have a freezer full of vacuum-sealed tilapia fillets begging to be eaten. But, I haven't dealt with tilapia very often, and didn't really know what to do with it. So, I turned to Kevin over at Closet Cooking for inspiration, and he didn't let me down.

Pan Seared Tilapia with Avgolemono Sauce. What is avgolemono, you ask? I've never heard of it, but Wikipedia tells me that it's a Greek soup made with egg and lemon mixed with broth. It's also creamy and delicious, airy, with a delicate lemony-eggy flavor. I would have never thought to eat it on fish, but the two just make sense on the plate and in the mouth. That Kevin is a genius!

For the recipe, check out Kevin's blog.

No comments: