Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Crab Cakes


Dan hates grocery shopping with me. He says that no matter what I have written down on my shopping list, and no matter how many times I say that "this is gonna be a real quick trip, I promise!" I always end up meandering down the aisles and walking away with 50 extra things "I just have to have." So occasionally he'll refuse to go to the store with me. How is that smart? Letting me wander through food paradise unsupervised is a terrible idea! For example, this weekend I went to BJ's to pick up frozen strawberries and kitty litter, and came home with a 16-piece set of drinking glasses, apple pie, heavy cream, milk, and crab claws. In my defense, the glasses came in handy for mimosas at brunch, I used the cream to make whipped cream to go with the apple cinnamon doughnuts, and milk + apple pie was a delicious late night snack!


And, by Monday night, the crab claws were the answer to our daily dilemma of "what should we have for dinner tonight?" Crab cakes, obviously.


These crab cakes were super easy to make. Just dump all the ingredients into one bowl, mix it up, form cakes with your hands, and stick them on a hot pan. Boom, done in 20 minutes.


The crab meat refuses to be contained!

I wish I had put more bread crumbs in the mixture so the cakes would have crisped up more on the outside, but otherwise these crab cakes were delicious. Soft and creamy, with just a hint of tang from the mustard, and lots and lots of yummy crab meat. These are definitely going to be added to the weekly dinner menu!

Crab Cakes (Adapted from Crab Cake Recipes's website)

Ingredients: 
- 1 lb crab meat (I use claw meat)
- 1 cup Italian-style bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp minced onion
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp mustard (Most recipes call for dijon, but I just used plain ol' yellow)
- 2 tbsp melted butter
** I kind of winged it with my measurements. If the mixture is too wet, add more breadcrumbs. If too dry, add more butter/mayo. It's all really just up to your own tastes.

Steps:
(1) In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients until well-combined.
(2) Scoop up mixture by the spoonful and shape them into cakes with your hands.
(3) Drop cakes onto oiled skillet. 
(4) Cook on medium heat until golden brown on both sides. 
(5) Serve on bed of greens.

No comments: